Rental Subsidy Program
Rental Subsidy Grant Application
Guidelines and Criteria for the Rental Subsidy Grant Application
Please forward completed original Application Form and 1 electronic copy
(preferably in PDF format)
Original hard copy to:
Cincinnati Arts Association
Education & Community Relations
Attn: Steve Finn
650 Walnut St.
Cincinnati, OH 45202
Electronic copy to: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Rental Subsidy Grant Application is available for download as a Microsoft Word File at the bottom of the page. If you have any questions, please contact Steve Finn.
About the Rental Subsidy Grants
The Greater Cincinnati Foundation established the rental subsidy grant program to assist non-profit arts organizations with rental fees at the Aronoff Center for the Arts. The intent is to make the Aronoff Center available to as many community arts groups as possible.
- The applicant must be an arts organization or an organization that has an established, distinct, arts component/program.
- The organization must be non-profit, with 501(c)(3) status or an application on file to become non-profit.
- The organization must be based in the eight county area served by the Greater Cincinnati Foundation. These are: Hamilton, Butler, Warren and Clermont counties in Ohio, Dearborn county in Indiana, and Boone, Kenton and Campbell counties in Kentucky.
- An individual artist may apply through an organization that is acting as a fiscal agent. The organization must meet eligibility requirements (A, B, and C). The organization may not apply for a separate rental subsidy grant within the same granting period that the organization is acting as a fiscal agent for an individual artist.
- Grant funds are for rental subsidy only.
- Technical services, personnel and ticketing costs are not subsidized.
- Application must show financial need.
- No arts organization shall be granted more than 25% of the total fund in one grant year.
- Any arts organization that is declined rental fee income for a performance period may reapply for consideration in any future performance period.
- Groups may apply for subsidy for more than one production in a single grant period. Both productions must occur within the same grant period. Productions with a total rent of $500 or less per production may be submitted on the same application but each production must have a separate estimated project budget (page 5 of application). Productions with a rent greater than $500 each must be submitted as separate applications.
- If a production overlaps a grant period, apply for rental subsidy in the grant period that coincides with the majority of rental dates. For example: if the rental dates run from September 15 through October 21, then the application deadline would be June 30, as more rental dates occur in October than in September.
- Rental subsidy funds may not be used in lieu of payment of deposit.
Preference will be given to:
- small arts organizations or other community based organizations with an established, distinct, arts component/program
- educational programs
- innovative and creative programs
- projects that contribute to diversity of programming
- projects that contribute to diversity of audience
Please note: Seventy percent of an applicant’s evaluation score is based on the level of detail and accuracy included in the project description, including explanations of how the project conforms to the above criteria. In particular, the application should explain, using as much detail as possible, the project’s educational, innovative and creative value as well as the project’s contribution to diversity of programming and audience.
The range of grants is generally $250 - $1,500.
- A copy of the completed application (Original hard copy form plus one electronic copy, preferably PDF format).
- All applicants must restrict their answers to space provided on the official application form.
- All applications must be typed. No handwritten applications will be accepted.
- Project descriptions must be specific and detailed to the actual production that grant funds will be applied to.
- Answers printed outside the space provided will not be considered.
- 1 copy of documentation of non-profit status. Submit one of the following:
- documentation of Federal IRS 501(c)(3) tax exempt status
- copy of articles of non-profit incorporation status with the State of Ohio
- documentation of current, pending non-profit incorporation status with the State of Ohio
- a written, notarized statement dated with the current year that attests to the non-profit status of the organization and is signed by an authorized representative of the organization.
- 2 copies of all support material (2 hard copies or 1 hard copy and 1 electronic copy). Select and submit no more than three key printed materials from the following:
- a piece of promotional literature
- a newsletter or other publication
- a newspaper or magazine article
- a review of a past performance/activity
- a program for a past performance period
- 2 copies (2 hard copies or 1 hard copy and 1 electronic copy) of a list including the Board of Trustees of the organization, a brief, one sentence sketch of each person's role/contribution to the Board and/or position in the organization.
Rental Subsidy Review/Award Process
- The applicant organization submits a completed original application with one electronic copy, two copies (either 2 hard copies or 1 hard copy and 1 electronic copy) of support materials (not more than three examples) to the Cincinnati Arts Association. Submission deadlines are listed below. All applications and support materials must be postmarked by the deadline.
- The Aronoff Center Rental Subsidy Review Panel, consisting of a volunteer group of community artists and arts organization representatives not employed by the Cincinnati Arts Association, will review applications within six to eight weeks after the application deadline. A list of current panel members is available upon request.
- The panel determines rental subsidy award(s). All panel decisions are final.
- Each applicant will receive notification of their rental subsidy award determination for each performance period.
- Awards are applied to the organization's settlement. No funds are forwarded directly to the organization.
||Date Application Due
||January through March
||April through June
||July through September
||October through December
- The Rental Subsidy Panel periodically reviews all application materials. Please ensure that when you submit an application, you are using the current application form and completing your application according to the current guidelines and criteria.
- Call (513) 977-4163 if you do not receive a confirmation postcard within one week of submitting your application.
- Applications must demonstrate financial need.
- Application Budget sheet should list in-kind services under INCOME.
- Seventy percent of an application’s score is based on the level of detail included in the project description and how well the project conforms to the evaluation criteria listed on page 3 of the Guidelines and Criteria packet.
- Estimated ticket revenue must relate directly to the figures presented for estimated attendance.
- Support materials are required as listed in the criteria. These materials must be copies only, do not send original brochures, mailers, cards, etc.
- Applicant must provide 2 complete sets of support material (either 2 hard copies or one hard copy and 1 electronic copy).
- If you do not already have an electronic version of the support materials and if your computer is equipped with a scanner, simply scan the materials and save each as a separate file (preferably in PDF format). If you are able to utilize this option, mail one hard copy and send the support materials, along with the application, as email attachments.
- If you do not have scan equipment available, FedEx-Kinko's can scan the support materials and save to a disk that is formatted for your computer.
- The application is available to download as a Microsoft Word Document (see below). Download the document and fill it out, then save as a PDF file. Send electronic copy as an email attachment.