Heroes of Ohio
Curriculum: Language Arts, Social & Cultural Connections, Social Studies, Theater
Have an author visit and bring his book to life. Standing before a colorful 14-foot-high canvas backdrop depicting the cover of his best-known book, Heroes of Ohio, author Rick Sowash presents a stirring assembly based on the stories in the book. Choose between one of these formats:
- A one-man show in which Rick dramatically and entertainingly retells his favorite Ohio Hero stories from the book,
- Rick introduces and briefly interviews, one by one, the heroes he wrote about in the book, as enacted by students carrying props he supplies. The student 'co-stars' then take their places in a 'living timeline' of Ohio heroes from Johnny Appleseed and Tecumseh through Toni Morrison and Neil Armstrong.
- After his one-man show Rick talks with students about writing and life as an author.
Available: Mondays or Fridays
Recommended Grades: K-6
Length: 45 minutes (performance). If the school chooses to involve students as Rick's co-stars, there will also be a 40 minute pre-assembly orientation session with those student/heroes.
Cost: $500 for one assembly and optional orientation for co-stars/$300 each additional assembly
Max #Sessions per Day: 2
- Education & Community
- Artists on Tour
- Overture Awards
- Building Diverse Audience Advisory Committee
- Cincy Emerging Arts Leaders