Building Self-Esteem through the Creative Arts
Curriculum: Creative Writing, English/Langauge Arts, Music, Social & Cultural Connections
Renowned singer-songwriter Kelly Richey’s dyslexia was undiagnosed during her school years, which made reading very difficult and presented many challenges and obstacles, most notably when it came to self-esteem. Today, Kelly’s greatest pleasure is sharing her story with students, teaching and inspiring them to overcome their own obstacles through creative self-expression. Using interactive, timed creative writing exercises called “fast writes,” Kelly helps students express themselves in an emotionally safe environment. Kelly’s innovative workshops help students learn to “self-express” through journaling and poetry. The workshops are interactive and fun and include a mini-concert where Kelly shows the students firsthand just what is possible if you work hard and believe in yourself.
- The Inner Critic: Students will get to know their Inner Critic and discover life-changing ways to make your Inner Critic your best friend.
- The Procrastinator: Students will gain an understanding of the importance of taking action in order to build healthy self-esteem.
- The Muse: Students will learn the importance of having creative outlets in order to build healthy self-esteem.
Recommended Ages: Grades 6-12
Length: 45 minutes
Cost: $225 first session/$200 each additional
Max #Sessions per Day: 6
- Education & Community
- Artists on Tour
- Overture Awards
- Building Diverse Audiences Advisory Committee
- Cincy Emerging Arts Leaders