BECOME A MUSIC HALL USHER
(16/17 season at Taft theatrE)
Music Hall Ushers have been asked by Cincinnati Symphony & Pops Orchestra and May Festival to provide ushering service at the Taft Theatre for 2016/2017 season. New ushers inducted during the 2016/2017 Taft Theatre season will be a member of the Music Hall Volunteer Program and will be required to attend additional trainings prior to the grand reopening of Music Hall in fall of 2017.
Ushers will make it possible for the patron to have a truly enjoyable Taft Theatre experience by providing a smile, a friendly greeting, accurate directions, or an extra service. We recognize that all ushers must be well-trained before the necessary confidence can be exhibited to achieve excellent customer service. The usher training program is incremental, which allows learning to occur over time. CAA staff members provide necessary information during training and are available to answer questions, but it is up to the volunteer to fully learn the information presented. It is vital that ushers are familiar with the entire facility.
After completing an application, Usher candidates are invited to interview for the position. Upon successful completion of the interview, applicants receive a Front of House manual prior to orientation. Applicants must be able to schedule their shifts online and effectively communicate with the office by email and phone.
All ushers must complete a three-part training program to be ACTIVE ushers:
- General Orientation: typically held bi-annually.
- Volunteer In Training (VIT): The prospective volunteer usher must complete two events as a Volunteer-In-Training. A VIT is paired with an experienced volunteer during a performance.
- Emergency Procedures Training: After completion of the general orientation, we hold a specific training to review evacuation routes, severe weather procedures, seating issues, and dress. All new ushers must attend this training session within a year of the general orientation date to remain active.
Performances generally occur Tuesday-Sunday, with some weekday matinees, and ushers schedule themselves online. Parking is available near Music Hall, and is an expense of the volunteer.
EXPECTATIONS OF USHERS EACH SEASON
Our performance season runs from September 1 – August 31 each year; it is not a calendar year.
- A commitment to a minimum of Ushering a minimum of 60 hours (roughly 12 events spread throughout the season). Working once a month, calendar permitting, will keep ushers on track to achieve this goal. They are encouraged to surpass this minimum commitment.
- It is mandatory that each season volunteers usher two “Gold Sheet Events.” Examples of these types of events might be unknown events, shifts on holidays, or shifts which have extremely early arrival or late end times.
- If your availability is limited to only one day a week or just weekends, please carefully consider your interest in becoming an usher. Scheduling flexibility is necessary for ushers to fulfill the event coverage and guest assistance we seek. Our expectations are in place to ensure that our guests, no matter the type of event, are served equally well any time they step into Music Hall.
- APPLY TO BECOME A MUSIC HALL USHER
- About Us
- News & Media
- Resident Companies
- Employment Opportunities
- Staff Directory
- Annual Reports
- Contact Us