Who May Apply for the Competition
All applications must be submitted through a school, home school, private music teacher or private studio. No individual applications will be accepted.
1. HIGH SCHOOLS:
- All students in grades 9-12 are eligible.
- Schools are encouraged to hold in-school competitions to determine who will compete at the Regional level.
- Schools may send up to 12 students to compete in the Regional Competition and may distribute nominations among the six disciplines as they wish.
2. HOME SCHOOLS, VIRTUAL SCHOOLS, PRIVATE STUDIOS/TEACHERS:
- A parent or school coordinator should act as the Overture Coordinator and be responsible for facilitating student registration.
- The qualifications for students nominated by non-traditional schools are the same as for high schools (see above).
- Private studios/teachers should nominate students who have not been nominated by their high school.
- Non-traditional schools may send competitors based upon the number of students enrolled in the school or studio:
- 1- 25 students: 4 competitors
- 25-50 students: 8 competitors
- 50 or more students: 12 competitors
3. PRIOR FINALISTS:
- All prior Overture Awards finalists still in high school are automatically entitled to compete in future Overture Awards competitions. They must pay the entry fee, however.
- Prior finalists will not be counted toward the total number of competitors for their school.